Thursday, July 9, 2009

Updates



So...I'm engaged! It is amazing what can happen in a couple months! Daivd and I made plans to go to North Carolina for a family friend's wedding. I knew it was a little bit crazy to take off work and drive 14 hours, but I thought we were being adventurous! David had other plans.

I have visited Asheville, North Carolina before and fell in love with the city, the people, the Biltmore, the hills, the trees, everything. David knew I loved this city and was very anxious to go and see it! We drove through the night and arrived in Asheville on Friday morning. Caught a couple hours of sleep and then went and had breakfast. Now, I am a HUGE breakfast person. I love eating out for breakfast. Expecially outside (if the weather is permitting). Well the weather was definitely permitting on this morning. David had done his research on a cute little breakfast place outside the Biltmore. It was yummy and really started our fabulous day off right.

Feeling full, we started our entrance into the Biltmore Estate. There is about a 3 mile drive from the gate to the parking lot of the most amazing landscaping and scenery. The lawns were all cut with perfection, the sun was breaking through the trees...you get the picture. Beautiful.


We got parked, took a tour of the home. It is strange for me to call it a home when it has 205 rooms and 63 bathrooms!!


We then took a tour of the winery. I got to taste some of their wine.
Funny interruption to the story is that David's birthday was the day before and his license expired! They would not let him taste the wine!! The lady kept talking about it to me saying how sorry she was she just couldn't bend the rules. And out of exhaustion and sadness, I cried. Ha! I was sad David drove 15 hours and couldn't tast the darn wine at age 24! Oh well.

We had a nice lunch by the winery. Then off to our Kyak trip David had booked for us in advance. This was soo wonderful. The river that ran through a portion of the thousands of acres, was a level 1 rapid. So it was a nice leisure float really that David and I relaxed enjoyed the scenery and got some N. Carolina sun!



Obviously needing to change clothes, David took me up to the winery to change inside, while he stayed back at the car. I know now, this is when he was putting the ring in his pocket.

He had planned for us to have a picnic next to the Bass Pond- a less traveled, touristy pond on the grounds. We found the perfect little picnic bench sitting right next to the pond. David had packed an entire backpak full for the picnic. He laid down a blanket, pulled out some grapes and cheese, and a really nice bottle of wine. My reaction was "Woah! nice surprise" and David's response was "well I never get to surprise you anymore you find out everything. I wanted to surprise my girlfriend at the Biltmore in North Carolina." Well I thought this was awesome.

Our bench, our tree, our pond :)


I have started a new tradition of writing the date and where I am on wine corks...so I dug through my purse to write on the cork. 6-19-09 The Biltmore. The pen is running out of ink just when I am trying to write the last "e." And David is sitting patiently waiting for me to finish...holding two glasses of wine..ha so I said "I'll just do it later."

David hands me my wine and says here's to amazing 5 years. Still not having a clue I tap my glass against his and say something like "here, here."

He pauses then says well the wine is not the only surprise. He started to tear up and he got down on his knee. This is a blur...someday I will have David write down what he said. But it was precious and perfect.

He pulled out the ring and said "will you marry me"....and I just looked at the ring with my mouth open...David nervously waited for my response which was of course YES!


The next 15 min was me sitting on the bench looking around with my mouth still open saying "I am engaged" "I am engaged" "Oh My Gosh...we're engaged!"



Just after he proposed someone walked by so we snapped a quick one


Those moments were so precious to me! I had to share a little bit of the details.



After my state of shock we left the estate grounds, and met up with Shawna and some friends who were in town for the wedding. It was such a special moment for Shawna and I. I am so blessed to be so close with my sister! She is my best friend and I am so glad she was there to celebrate! (And Stephanie, Shannon and Steve).





We are both so grateful to God for not only allowing us to grow along side one another, but to have been so faithful to prepare our hearts for a life together that will be honoring to Him.

We ask for prayer and encouragement as we enter this special commitment together. May our engagement not only be fun and a time of continuoued growth but a time we never forget.

4 comments:

puntacelli said...

congrats on the engagement in NC, I have been looking for something for neely and I to do, so we'll what happens. other than i wish you guys the best wedding,

Shawna said...

i love you and am ever so thankful to be walking this journey holding your hand.

Unknown said...

Love the the pictures and remembering the excitement of the "first" phone call from Asheville. You both are precious to us and are thrilled to have David in our family...feels like he's been our family for a while!

love you so...

mom

La Gringa Sonria said...

Oh, I love engagment stories! Second only to labor and delivery stories-which I can wait on for a few years with you guys! : ) CONGRATULATIONS!!