Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY Ottoman

David and I took on a big project last weekend. We built an ottoman for our formal living room. Ya you heard me...we built an ottoman! We have been shopping for a very specific ottoman. We knew we wanted a round, upholstered ottoman in a neutral color.

Of course I found exactly what I wanted on Horchow's website for $600. Yikes.


I then looked on Cutting Corners and I could this made in my choice of fabric for $330 plus the cost of fabric. Not too bad but still too expensive for our budget.




So I started searching on Pinterest and I stumbled up on this two part blog post on In My Own Style.

Part 1 is the construction process and Part 2 is the upholstering process. This was her finished product. The best part about this is it's a NO SEW ottoman. Perfect for my non-seamstress self.


The ottoman above is 20 in. wide. We needed 36 in. wide to fit the scale of the space. I also knew I wanted larger pleats and I had to do the nail head trim because I can't sew piping...so David made the base by copying the instructions on the blog mentioned above. 




We added 3-in high density foam.


Found fabric off Harry Hines for $6/yd!! (Needed 4 yards.)  And followed the blog again. I used liquid stitch for everything! 


And here it is! I'm so happy with how it turned out! 


All in we spent $75!!! Love it even more!

3 comments:

Life as the Mrs. said...

So cute! I love it! Great job.

Joyful Girl said...

THat is fabulous!!!

Shawna said...

Still amazing!!! So impressed - you and David are a good team. :)