Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sugar ahh HONEY, HONEY


If you know me well you know that I LOVE honey. I eat it on several different things:

1. Bread of any kind including garlic bread.
2. Fried chicken and french fries.
3. Pizza. Yes I eat it on pizza...it's so good. Just try it.
4. Non-fat Greek Yogurt {thanks Whit}
5. Peanut butter and banana sandwich
6. In hot tea

I am ridiculed for this for obvious reasons. It's unconventional, but do you know how good honey is for you?

In my October issue of Southern Living {thanks Tay!} they discussed some of the perks of this natural syrup.

1. It's a natural way to enhance energy. It says if you need a morning pick me-up or an extra lift before a workout ditch the energy drinks. A spoonful of honey has natural sugars that are absorbed by the body quickly and will give you an instant boost.

2. It can soothe a sore throat. It's cold and flu season! So if you are feeling under the weather they recommend honey, lemon juice and a pinch of salt to warm water will ease the inflammation associated with a cold or flu. In addition to relief, the honey can kill certain bacteria that's at the root of the infection. I have also heard it's best to buy/eat local honey. Because it is made near home, it can help your body build immunities to seasonal allergens.

3. It will help your skin stay supple. Using beauty products enriched with honey helps hydrate and restore elasticity. Due to its thick texture and ability to absorb moisture from the air and becomes a useful moisturizer.

4. It can heal wounds, burns and cuts. it helps keep wounds clean and infection-free, reduces swelling and scarring, and acts as an anti-inflammatory. Apparently honey has long been useful as a natural first-aid treatment!

Lastly, 5. It's the healthiest sweetener. In moderation it has its benefits. Because it's sweeter than regular sugar, you don't need as much. Studies involving both healthy subjects and those with high cholesterol, natural honey reduced both total cholesterol and blood sugar by 6%-8%.

I hope this has enlightened you!! Now go get some honey!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

love the shout out!! :) and i eat honey on something at least once a day...