Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Loving Layla

Y'all, I love our dog, Layla! I cannot believe how quickly I have become ATTACHED to this dog.

Let me start from the beginning. I wanted a dog SO bad after we got married. Well, I wanted one before we got married but the whole not-living-together-thing would have made that really hard. We were coming up on our one year anniversary and I was bugging David to get a dog. He wanted one too, but not as badly as I wanted one.

I really liked Golden Retrievers. They are precious as puppies. They are sweet. They are good family dogs. They are smart and cuddly. I wanted one.

I didn't want to pay the $300 + price tag for one. So we put the search on hold. (I also looked at adopting from shelters in Dallas but the fees were still $250 or more for dogs under 4 years old.)

David on the other hand wanted a German Shepherd. He grew up with one and knew they can be great dogs. I thought they looked like wolves and scared the crap out of me.

As I've mentioned before, my brother's girlfriend Amber and her family are German Shepherd breeders and they had a litter in January. One of the pups was sold to a woman but was returned for an overbite. Amber and her sweet family knew we wanted a dog so they offered her to us, for free.

I battled with the decision. This was not what I wanted. I wanted a Golden Retriever, but free! How can you compete with that? Not to mention this was from a prized bloodline and I knew she would be a great dog.

"Ok, let's do this." I told David. Sure enough, May 28th we brought Layla into our home.

I loved her immediately. She has such a sweet temperament and minds so well. I really realized how much I loved her when we had to drop her off at the vet to be spayed this past Friday. I moped around all afternoon and thought about her constantly. I was so worried about her "going under" for the surgery and I was begging David to call the vet and get an update. She did great and is now back home, thank goodness.

Layla loves to chase her shadow around the house and pounce on the reflection of her dog tag on our floor. She loves to eat ice cubes and will sit, stay, shake and lay down. I am SO glad we got her.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I felt the EXACT same way about German Shepherds. I could have been reading my own blog post... except Luis adopted Oskar from a shelter when I was out of town! I was so nervous to come home!

Layla is precious! So excited for you.

Cheryl said...

Love how her ears frame your face! Those are the biggest ears I've ever seen! She's a beauty and so is her owner...:)